About the program
The MTC Office Administration program focuses on today’s multi technology-enhanced office environment and offers students the opportunity to focus on specialized options. Students will learn to utilize information management tools, software applications, and business skills to manage situations in today’s virtual office teams; streamline the collection and reporting of data sources to assist in making sound business decisions; support “help desk” operations; and learn to produce, manage, and enhance materials for distribution via Internet and intranet.
This program follows an 8-week course format. This means you will take fewer classes at a time, and earn credits faster as you complete the program. Each semester is divided into two 8-week sessions, with a smaller number of classes taken during each compared to a traditional 16-week semester schedule.
Two-year full-time degree schedule; a mixture of computer skills courses with studies in business management, marketing, and communications.
Students may earn an Associate of Applied Business in Office Administration Technology degree 100% online at Marion Technical College. The required courses in the Office Administration curriculum are offered online spring and fall semesters and a student who enrolls full-time may complete the degree in two years. This program is offered to qualified students who must be college-ready in reading, writing, math; have Internet access, and Microsoft Office®.
College Credit for Certified Administrative Professional® (CAP®)
For individuals entering the Office Administration Technology program with the Certified Administrative Professional® (CAP®) and Certified Administrative Professional – Organization Management specialty (CAP-OM) credentials, MTC will automatically award proficiency credit (CAP maximum award - 22 credit hours; CAP-OM maximum award - 25 credit hours) for the following courses:
|BUS2150||Legal Environment of Business||
|ENG1000||English Composition I||
|ENG1100||English Composition II||
|MGT1400||Introduction to Management||
|OIS1280||Records and Data Management||
MGT2410: CAP-OM only
The curriculum is comprised of core office administration, business, management, and communications courses.
Students will gain computer skills involving Microsoft® applications and SharePoint basics; this certificate is an ideal steppingstone into many of MTC’s associate degree programs.
This is a two-semester curriculum comprised of core office administration courses and studies in business, management, and communications. Credits earned can apply to an associate degree.
Occupational Certification Opportunities
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) – Office 365 Certification
- Apply integrated technologies for proposed office task solution.
- Prepare a portfolio displaying advanced desktop publishing techniques.
- Create an informative narrated presentation.
- Apply project management techniques including project charter, time, risk, change management, budgeting, and team dynamics.
- Evaluate business career pathways.
- Use problem-solving methodology to solve customer concerns and business problems.
- Apply generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to measure, process, and communicate financial information.
- Describe legal requirements and ethical considerations pertaining to organizations.
- Explain economics concepts including demand, supply, competition, resources and making choices with regards to consumer behavior.
- Apply techniques used to transition from the classroom to the work environment.
- Apply advanced functions for data analysis and visualization.
- Demonstrate business practices within the Business Management field.
- Communicate effectively both written and orally.
- Solve problems using mathematics.
- Solve problems through analysis, creativity, and synthesis to make informed decisions.
- Demonstrate good work habits, effective interpersonal and teamwork skills, and a high level of professionalism.
- Use technology tools efficiently and effectively to perform personal and professional tasks.
- Exhibit respect and sensitivity for individual and institutional differences.
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
- Help Desk Technician
- Information Coordinator
- Office Manager
- Project Coordinator
- Software Support Specialist
- Technical Office Assistant
- Technical Office Assistant
- Office Clerk
- MTC Application for Admission and nonrefundable applicable fee.
- High school transcript (or GED results) and college transcripts (if applicable).
Demonstrate college-readiness by achieving the required minimum score on a placement test, successfully completing any required college foundation courses, or satisfying other measures including but not limited to high school coursework, previous college coursework, samples of work, etc.
All courses offered in this program will be taken as 8-week classes each semester, meaning you wil complete courses and earn credits sooner than a traditional 16-week class format.