Office of the Registrar
Registering for classes is a critical activity for all students. Each term it is necessary for you to select the specific courses you want to take, complete any forms needed, and pay the appropriate fees as part of the registration process. You are also encouraged to stay in contact with your advisor should any concerns arise. You are responsible to know the various registration terms, times, and policies.
MTC uses what is called a ‘‘continuous registration’’ process. This simply means that once registration begins, it continues until the published ending date. Registration typically begins about halfway through the prior term, with spring and summer fall term registration occurring simultaneously. (Check the college calendar on the MTC website for specific registration dates and times. You may also receive emails from the Registrar with important dates to consider.)
Continuing students (students who attended during any of the previous three terms) in good academic standing are afforded the first opportunity to register for classes during three days of online registration:
- Day One – registration opens for continuing students with 45+ credit hours completed
- Day Two – registration opens for continuing students with 30+ credit hours completed
- Day Three – registration opens for continuing students with 20+ credit hours completed
- Day Four – registration opens for continuing students with 12+ credit hours completed
In June of 2014, Governor Kasich signed House Bill 488, which includes providing priority registration for veterans and service members. At MTC, priority registration means veterans and service members can register beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday before open registration begins. Once open registration begins, veterans and service members will compete with all other students for class spaces.
All other students currently attending MTC who do not fall in the above categories may register with an advisor or the Office of the Registrar.
Registration for new and returning students opens approximately one week later. All new and returning students must meet with a Professional Advisor or the Office of the Registrar.
Adding a Class
- Students who wish to add a course after the first-course meeting must complete the
Late Add form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar by the last day to add
for the term (refer to MTC calendar).
- The student must get approval from both their advisor and the course instructor, as detailed on the Late Add Form. Online courses can be added up until the closing of business on the third day of the term (Wednesday at 5 p.m.) without advisor/course instructor approval.
Dropping a class or classes
- No indication of course registration is recorded on your transcript when you drop a class on or before the end of the fifteenth calendar day of the academic term. (refer to MTC calendar).
Withdraw from class
- After the fifteenth day of the term, a student may withdraw from a class. After the fifteenth day of the term the student becomes financially responsible for the class. Students considering withdrawing should contact the Financial Aid Department prior to withdrawing to see how this action could change their financial obligation.
- Students must complete a withdrawal form provided by their advisor.
- When the withdrawal form that was provided by the advisor is completed by the student, the student then submits the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a student chooses to email the request, the Office of the Registrar will notify the advisor and the steps in the second two bullets will be repeated
- After the tenth day prior to the end of the term, no withdrawal requests will be accepted and a grade will be recorded for the course.
- Dates are determined by the day the form is received by the Office of the Registrar.
*Certain courses have abbreviated term lengths. The allowed withdrawal dates for these courses are determined on a percentage/prorated basis.
- To transfer from one class section to another after the fifth day of the semester and before the tenth business day before the end of the semester, you must complete a Section Transfer form by contacting the Office of the Registrar or your advisor. You can also email the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com by using their MTC student email account. Approval from an instructor or director is needed in order to change class sections.
- Get on a waiting list - You can be placed on a waitlist if you are unable to schedule a course because the class is already full. All prerequisites must be met to be added to a waiting list. Students are moved from a waiting list to enrolled status in the course on a first-come, first-serve basis as seats become available.
- Read your email - You will receive an email in your MTC email account giving you permission to register for the wait-listed course. You will only have 72 hours from the time the email is sent to you to register for the course. It is your responsibility to check your MTC email account daily and register in time. If you fail to do so, the next student on the waiting list will be offered the seat.
- Register for the course - You may register online using MyMTC Self-Service if you have attended at least one of the previous 3 terms with 12 or more earned credit hours prior to the current term. You may also contact the Office of the Registrar or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To accommodate the multiple demands faced by students, MTC offers a variety of formats for courses.