What is on an ACCUPLACER Test?
MTC will begin using the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER on September 1, 2018.
Information and resources to help you prepare for this placement test are available on the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER webpage.
PLACEMENT TESTING INFORMATION
Next-Generation ACCUPLACER placement testing is required for most MTC academic programs, and it is an essential tool for achieving student success.
These evaluations are designed to test students in three academic areas (writing, reading, and math) and suggest initial English and/or math courses that are appropriate for the demonstrated academic skill level. In this way, students are not placed in a course that is above their abilities or a ‘‘rehash’’ of skills they have already mastered.
Students are required to successfully complete the recommended brush-up courses, indicated by their assessment score, prior to registering for college-level English, math, or computer courses. Next-Generation ACCUPLACER testing is free and conducted in the Student Resource Center (Bryson Hall 183).
Students are encouraged to complete these assessments prior to selecting first term classes. However, the assessments must be completed prior to registration for the first English, math, or computer course.
Students may be exempt from completing placement testing if they meet one of the following criteria:
- Have taken the ACT within the last 5 years (students who feel their ACT score is not representative of their academic ability and preparation may still want to take the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER to “level up”; see your advisor for exact requirements)
- Have completed 3+ years of college prep coursework in high school within the last 5 years with a grade of B or higher (see your advisor for exact requirements)
- Have earned MTC or transfer credit for corresponding brush-up or college level English, math, or computer courses
- Register for the lowest level English, math, or computer course
- Register for courses other than English, math, or computers
PLACEMENT TESTING PROCEDURES
- We recommend taking the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER at your earliest convenience after admission to MTC, prior to your registration advising appointment.
- Completing all three parts of the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER could require 2-3 hours. Please plan accordingly and check in early enough to complete the whole assessment before closing time. Your testing can be broken down into several small sessions if your time is limited.
- Bring your MTC identification number.
- No fees are required for placement testing when taken as part of your MTC enrollment.
- Score reports are available immediately in the Student Resource Center.
- Results will be explained during your registration appointment with an academic advisor.
INSIDE THE NEXT-GENERATIONACCUPLACER
Next-Generation Reading assesses the test-taker’s ability to derive meaning from a range of texts and to determine the meaning of words and phrases in short and extended contexts. Passages on the test cover a range of content areas, writing modes, and complexities. Both single and paired passages are included. Four broad knowledge and skills categories are assessed:
- Information and Ideas
Next-Generation Writing evaluates a test-taker’s ability to revise and edit multi-paragraph text. Questions cover two broad knowledge and skills categories, each containing three subcategories:
Expression of Ideas
- Effective Language Use
Standard English Conventions
- Sentence Structure
Next-Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (QAS) assesses the following knowledge and skills:
- Rational numbers
- Ratio and Proportional Relationships
- Algebraic Expressions
- Linear Equations
- Linear Applications and Graphs
- Probability Sets
- Descriptive Statistics
- Geometry Concepts
Next-Generation Advanced Algebra and Functions (AAF) assesses the following knowledge and skills:
- Linear Equations
- Linear Applications and Graphs
- Radical and Rational Equations
- Polynomial Equations
- Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
PREPARING FOR THE ACCUPLACER
Access the FREE Accuplacer Web-Based Study App!
- Click here
- Enter your email address and create a password.
- Click sign up.
- Return to home page and enter log-in information.
- Choose the Next Generation placement tests.
Need more practice? Next Generation ACCUPLACER Sample Questions
Need more interactive help? Ohio Means Jobs website
Please call the Student Resource Center 740.389.4636 ext. 200, if you have any questions. Special needs for students with disabilities can be accommodated with advanced notification.
MTC DISTANCE LEARNERS
If you are involved in one of our online degrees, you also have the option of testing at a remote testing site. There may be a fee for this service. If you have any questions, please contact Brandy Page in the Student Resource Center, 740-386-4133.
TECHNOLOGY SKILLS TEST
The Technology Skills Test (TST) is required for all students, unless they have transferred in a comparable college level course or complete OIS 1200 Computer Basics. This placement test determines preparedness for computer based coursework. It includes keyboarding, Outlook navigation, and Windows navigation. Click below for more information about this test.
You may take the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER and Technology Skills Test on a walk-in basis 8:00am to 7:30pm Monday through Thursday and 8:00am to 4:00pm Friday. Please note, the Student Resource Center closes at these times. Please plan accordingly and check in early enough to complete the whole assessment before closing time