You do not become a successful college student overnight. You learn to be one. MTC is committed to providing you with helpful career and academic advising throughout your enrollment at the college. Various staff and faculty participate in advising in order to provide you the assistance you need.
Every MTC student will have an advisor, and this advisor will become a significant part of your academic life.
When do I get one?
During the admissions process you will be assigned either a Faculty Advisor or a First Year Advisor. A letter will be sent out confirming the name of your academic advisor and the information needed to contact and locate him or her. If you’re not sure who your academic advisor is, contact your instructional department’s dean or secretary.
How often do I meet with my advisor?
As often as you want, however, you are required to meet with your advisor:
- To schedule your first term classes,
- During your second term,
- During the term you have earned between 40 and 45 course credits,
- The term prior to your graduation,
- If your G.P.A. puts you in academic warning or probation.
In addition, your advisor can help you:
- Create a short-term academic plan,
- Create a long-range academic plan,
- Register you for classes if you’re needing assistance,
- Review your progress toward degree/certificate completion,
- When circumstances occur which interfere with your success as a student.
Other topics your advisor is available to discuss:
- Time management issues,
- Study skills and strategies,
- Explanation of college policy and procedures,
- Connecting with other helpful services and contacts within the college and in the community,
- Questions about your area of study and future career.
1467 Mount Vernon Ave.
Marion, Ohio 43302