PTA Open House / Monday, October 28, 2013 / 4-8p in the PTA Lab (TEC 135)
Come join us for information about the Physical Therapist Assistant program, food, prizes, and FUN!
Class of 2015 is FULL (Fall 2013 Start)
Now Accepting Applications for the Class of 2016
(Fall 2014 Start) - Application Deadline is March 1, 2014
CONGRATULATIONS PTA Class of 2013!
For the 1st time in program history, the Physical Therapist Assistant Program Graduates achieved...
A 100% first-time pass rate on the National Physical Therapy
Examination required for Licensure!!!!
Degree: Associate of Applied Science in Physical Therapist Assisting Technology
Physical Therapist Assistants (PTAs) provide patient treatment which is planned and supervised by a Physical Therapist. These services help improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent or limit additional physical damage associated with many types of injury and disease. PTAs utilize skills in anatomy and physiology, body mechanics, exercise and fitness, first aid, massage, and treatment methods such as ultrasound, hydrotherapy, and electrical-stimulation, as well as patient care, communications, psychology, and computer technology.
The Physical Therapist Assistant also provides a vital link in the treatment and recovery chain by tracking and recording patients' progress during treatment and communicating patient responses and changes to the Physical Therapist for streamlining the overall treatment process.
The PTA Program at Marion Technical College admits new students fall term of each year. The program is sequenced and requires five consecutive semesters to complete. You may elect to take some courses that apply toward the degree prior to being admitted to the PTA Program, but this will not shorten the five-term time frame.
PTA program classes are scheduled during daytime hours. Clinical coursework will be held at off-campus sites during daytime hours, utilizing an extensive network of health care professionals throughout the area. Through these clinical affiliations, PTA students gain invaluable insight and interactions with PT's, as well as their co-workers and patients.
Graduates of the PTA Program at Marion Technical College receive the Associate of Applied Science degree in Physical Therapist Assisting Technology.
National labor data shows that more than three-fourths of the 50,000 individuals working in the field in the U.S. are employed by hospitals and physical therapist practices; job opportunities for PTAs are expected to increase nationally through 2012 by more than 35 percent; Ohio projects a similar opportunity for growth. As of May 2004, Ohio law will enable "direct access" for individuals to physical therapy services [both evaluation and treatment] without a physician referral.
This legislative move will have a positive impact on the profession.
Licensed Physical Therapist Assistants can look forward to bright employment prospects in fields such as pediatric neurological and orthopedic rehabilitation, neurological rehabilitation, orthopedic and sports medicine rehabilitation, and geriatric and skilled nursing care. Licensed Physical Therapist Assistants practice in diverse settings including general acute hospitals and step-down units, inpatient neurological rehabilitation facilities, outpatient orthopedic facilities, extended care and skilled nursing facilities, school settings, and with high school, collegiate, and professional athletic training staffs.
To be admitted into MTC's Physical Therapist Assistant Program, you must complete the following admission requirements by the PTA program application deadline:
1. Successful completion of four years of high school, or a standard equivalency test, or certification of equivalent education by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. High School Transcript or GED must be sent to MTC, and received by the application deadline, to verify that the applicant meets this requirement.
2. Minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent from either high school or college. If a college GPA is used to meet this requirement, it must be based upon a minimum of 12 semester or quarter hours earned at one institution. If a High School GPA is used to meet this requirement and the applicant is a High School Senior, the program will use the GPA at the end of the seventh semester of the senior year.
3. Completion of high school algebra, chemistry, and biology with a minimum grade of "C" or equivalent college foundation courses [MTC's Principles of Biology and Chemistry SCI1010A and Prealgebra - MTH 0990]. (Grades of C - or below will not be considered).
6. Submission of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program Application
7. The COMPASS [Basic Skills Assessment] may be required, as might the Technology Skills Test. The COMPASS may be taken in the Student Resource Center at Marion Technical College. Students who obtain scores lower than established minimums on the COMPASS must successfully complete the corresponding Foundation Course [i.e. for ENG 0990 - Preparation for College Writing]. Students with college credit in these areas may have the COMPASS waived by the Director of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program. Contact the PTA Program Director to determine if this testing in required in your particular situation.
8. It is recommended that candidates complete the American College Test [ACT] and indicate on the test application that scores be submitted to MTC. The ACT should be completed far enough in advance to ensure that test scores reach MTC prior to the PTA program application deadline. It is also recommended that candidates complete some required coursework in advance of application when possible. Recommended classes include Anatomy and Physiology I and II, and Beginning Algebra.
9. Transfer credit from other colleges will be evaluated after receipt of official transcripts.
Once new applicants have met the Marion Technical College requirements to qualify for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, an admission point system will be used to admit each year's class (view scoring sheet). Class size is limited to the 24 candidates having the highest admission point totals.
Please note that the PTA Program at Marion Technical College reserves the right to make additions or changes to the admission criteria. It is recommended that you contact the PTA Program staff for the most recent admission criteria and application.
To receive more detailed information on the Physical Therapist Assistant Program or a complete copy of the MTC Catalog, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Office of Admission at email@example.com.