To be admitted into MTC's Physical Therapist Assistant Program, you must complete the following admission requirements by the PTA program application deadline:
1. Successful completion of four years of high school, or a standard equivalency test, or certification of equivalent education by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. High School Transcript or GED must be sent to MTC, and received by the application deadline, to verify that the applicant meets this requirement.
2. Minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent from either high school or college. If a college GPA is used to meet this requirement, it must be based upon a minimum of 12 semester or quarter hours earned at one institution. If a High School GPA is used to meet this requirement and the applicant is a High School Senior, the program will use the GPA at the end of the seventh semester of the senior year.
3. Completion of high school algebra, chemistry, and biology with a minimum grade of "C" or equivalent college foundation courses [MTC's Principles of Biology and Chemistry SCI1010A and Prealgebra - MTH 0990]. (Grades of C - or below will not be considered).
4. Completion of a minimum of 50 verified observation hours under the supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist or licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (
PTA Observation Verification and Recommendation Form).
5. Completion of all MTC general admission requirements, including MTC Application for Admission and nonrefundable application fee.
6. Submission of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program Application
7. The COMPASS [Basic Skills Assessment] may be required, as might the Technology Skills Test. The COMPASS may be taken in the Student Resource Center at Marion Technical College. Students who obtain scores lower than established minimums on the COMPASS must successfully complete the corresponding Foundation Course [i.e. for ENG 0990 - Preparation for College Writing]. Students with college credit in these areas may have the COMPASS waived by the Director of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program. Contact the PTA Program Director to determine if this testing in required in your particular situation.
8. It is recommended that candidates complete the American College Test [ACT] and indicate on the test application that scores be submitted to MTC. The ACT should be completed far enough in advance to ensure that test scores reach MTC prior to the PTA program application deadline. It is also recommended that candidates complete some required coursework in advance of application when possible. Recommended classes include Anatomy and Physiology I and II, and Beginning Algebra.
9. Transfer credit from other colleges will be evaluated after receipt of official transcripts.
Once new applicants have met the Marion Technical College requirements to qualify for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, an admission point system will be used to admit each year's class ( view scoring sheet). Class size is limited to the 24 candidates having the highest admission point totals.
Please note that the PTA Program at Marion Technical College reserves the right to make additions or changes to the admission criteria. It is recommended that you contact the PTA Program staff for the most recent admission criteria and application.