Program Admission Requirements
- MTC Application for Admission including application fee and final high school transcript
- A minimum 2.5 accumulative grade point average (GPA) in high school or college-level courses (whichever is most recent).
- American College Test (ACT) scores with a minimum composite score of 18, or successful completion of college-level required program courses with a minimum accumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- Successful completion of the ACT or Basic Skills Assessment (COMPASS) in reading, writing, and mathematics (algebra), and technologies skills.
- Completion of high school biology and chemistry with a grade of C or better or completion of SCI1050 with a grade of C or better.
- Minimum of four (4) hours of laboratory observation documented by a completed Laboratory Observation form and signed Confidentiality Agreement.
- Completed MLT application packet available by clicking here.
- Completion of successful criminal background check.
- Completion of successful drug screen.
- Applicant must read the MLT Student Handbook.
Students accepted to the program will be required to submit to a criminal background check facilitated by Marion Technical College and conducted by The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification. Students with certain felony, misdemeanor, or drug related arrests as specified in ORC 109.572, will be ineligible for admission into the program. The Disqualifier List is included in the MLT Admission Packet for review. Students with any criminal background may be ineligible for admission. Potential employers for MLT graduates require criminal background checks as conditions for employment. Individuals who have been convicted of any crime, including felony, gross misdemeanor, misdemeanor, or drug-related arrests may be ineligible for employment. Therefore, completing the MLT program does not guarantee future employment.
Accepted students will also be required to submit to a drug screening upon admission into the program and at least once during the program. Positive drug screenings will result in forfeiture of the clinical/practicum. Students may be subject to drug screens for cause during the program. Any student who refuses/fails to cooperate, or complete any required drug screening will be considered “positive” and dismissed from the program.
A complete listing of all requirements and policies/procedures for the program is available in the Medical Laboratory Technology Student Handbook.
Additional requirements for entrance into the MLT Clinical course include:
- Completion of medical physical
- Testing for infectious diseases and updated immunizations
- Purchase of liability insurance
Clinical sites may require:
- Random drug testing
- HIV testing, if exposed to blood-borne pathogen
- Submission to treatment/counseling, if exposed to infectious diseases
- Criminal background check