Revision of Policy #145
CODE 3357: 10-1-45
TITLE: Computer Software Usage
- This policy applies to the use of all software at Marion Technical College (MTC), including shareware, freeware, evaluation, and any other software with limited or temporary license agreements, as well as commercial software.
- It is the responsibility of each MTC employee to use all software acquired by the College only in accordance with applicable licensing agreements and copyright protections. Unless otherwise provided in the license, any duplication of copyrighted software, except for backup and archival purposes, is a violation of the law. Any unauthorized duplication of copyrighted computer software is contrary to the College’s standards of conduct.
- It is the responsibility of each MTC employee to ascertain that any software that is self-installed is properly licensed before installing it on College equipment. The Computer Center is responsible to ascertain that software it installs is properly licensed before installing it on College equipment.
- Each employee is responsible for his/her usage of computer software and any failure to comply with this policy. The College does not accept liability for the use of software that is not acquired by the College and installed by the College information technology staff.
- The College grants
limited “work at home” use rights to employees in compliance with the
manufacturers’ licensing agreements.
- The “work at home” rights of any user terminate when his/her employment by Marion Technical College terminates or the College discontinues the necessary licensing agreement(s). The software must be removed from the employee’s personal computer upon termination of employment, or upon notification by the Computer Center that a licensing agreement is discontinued.